Rosie Tarlton

Shortly after she was born, she was rushed to Riley Hospital by an ambulance. She was born with a congenital heart defect PDA (Patent Ductus Arteriosus). Her skin was beginning to turn blue, and she started to struggle breathing on her own. Her heart was not receiving enough oxygen. She was sent to Riley to receive specialized care. She was put into the NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit) at Riley as soon as she arrived. They put her on oxygen, and she had no stimulus for three days. Having no stimulus meant thatshe was not allowed to be touched or held except for medical purposes. Her body was able to naturally heal. She was about to be discharged from Riley's NICU but the night before her release, her heart had other plans. She developed another heart disorder known as (SVT) super ventricular tachycardia.  The disorder occurs when your heart is stressed and it begins to beat rapidly. This is not life threatening as long as it is caught early in the episode. One time she had an episode that lasted 48 hours. The doctors at Riley had worked endless hours to do everything they knew to get her heart to beat normally again. Her heart was shocked with paddles and finally received medications to help regulate the rapid beating. The Riley doctors and nurses were successful at getting her heart back to normal. Because of this, they saved her life. They found three medications that worked together to help regulate her heartbeat. She remained on those three medications until the age of two. At the age of two, she was released from the cardiologist.

She remained in the NICU for a month with all of her great caregivers at Riley. Before leaving, she had to get my hearing tested. Hearing tests were required as medicines and complications could damage your hearing. I took the test and I failed.  Further testing was ordered- an ABR (Audio Brainstem  Response) is a more advanced test that tells you specifically how well the baby is hearing. Unfortunately, she also failed that test. Her hearing was so bad, her parents were told she would not be able to hear a jet plane take off. That same appointment, her parents were told she was going to be profoundly deaf, and that sign language was going to be necessary. Immediately, Riley gave her parents resources in their hometown for family sign language classes. Her next appointments revealed that she was not profoundly  deaf, the testing showed that she had a moderate to severe hearing loss. She was diagnosed with Audio Neuropathy and provided with her first pair of hearing aids at eighteen months. She was enrolled in speech therapy where she was beginning to learn how to make sounds and talk. She received her second pair of hearing aids in third grade and her most recent pair in seventh grade. She has had a few ear surgeries.  She had ear tubes put in, a cyst removed and her tube removed that had not fallen out yet. She wears her hearing aids everyday and no longer suffers from any major heart issues all thanks to the doctors and nurses at Riley Hospital for Children.